The results are in! We had 500 submissions, so I had to narrow things down a bit. I took the list and removed anyone who didn't have a PC or a Mac (not sure why they submitted) and that knocked the list down to 479.
    Then I put everyone in a Google sheet and gave everyone one "point." Then I gave out additional bonus points like this:

• +1 if you got the question right about engines
    • +1 If you were in the first 100 to sign-up
    • +1 If you have a SimplePlanes.com account
    • +1 If you have over 1000 points on SimplePlanes.com

Then I went down the list and rolled a 32-sided die. Not really, I just had Google sheets pick a random number. If it rolled <= to your total points, then you got in the beta. Otherwise, sorry, you're out of luck.
    That resulted in 37 winners. Here they are:

• @thisisausername
    • @timeisimaginary
    • @tsampoy
    • @user49989
    • @vocuslocus
    • @warclone

@Ihavenorealideawhatiamdoing Sorry, I missed your question. We are planning on releasing early access on Steam first, around the end of Q1 / early Q2 (yep the schedule is already slippery). We won't be ready for any kind of beta testing on mobile until probably late summer/early fall, but it's too early to say for sure. When we do start that we will probably do at least one round of beta testing on iOS and Google Play.

Edit: This info is obviously very outdated. See my more recent posts and comments for updated info.

+18 1.5 years ago

Just released another beta. Version 0.6.7.1 with a few new changes:

• Fixed a bug where motors wouldn't apply torque to Resizable Wheels.
    • Added Invert on Mirror to input controller's part properties.
    • Fixed a bug where the wheel parking brake joint would stick to the ground even when hovering above the ground.
    • Fixed a bug where inspector panels would not hide with F-10.
    • Fixed a bug where the level UI did not hide when taking a screenshot.
    • Fixed a bug where the camera could not zoom in on craft when the craft was below 1 meter on Cylero.
    • Fixed the pivot attachment where the top cords meet the base.
    • Fixed bugs related to getting precise SOI entry point.
    • Fixed bug where time to periapsis is wrong for hyperbolics.
    • Fixed a bug where the delta-v calculation was wrong in the game flight view if multiple engines shared a fuel tank.

@RailfanEthan @KitKart @Exospaceman @pedro16797 @NathanMikeska @Chancey21 @grizzlitn @Tully2001 @Feanor @GINGER01 @Klosskopf @oDDDx @AN2Felllla @AnotherFireFox @eonn44 @Mod @tars13 @WNP78 @bartekkru100 @Iron17 @ERRORNAME @shuAyc @simonchc @deusalgor @BobTheTitanSP @SaturnV

Ha, whoops. Ya, copy-pasta.

I'll post a video of the consumption of black licorice in the next week or so....

@Venus
    Will the smoke push any objects near the engine?
    Nope, it's only a visual effect

will be there cargo bay? And can we customize it?
    Yes and yes

Is dock can be customize?
    Nope, the docking port comes in one size for now.

do all engines can do that effect?
    Mage, Apex, and Pixie all do this to some extent. The ion engine doesn't do much.

How can we add more Command pod in the boosters?
    I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll take a stab. You can add additional command pods to boosters so that after they are disconnected you can switch to them and take control of them.

will be there another probe for unmanned missions?
    We don't have any probe specific parts. I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for here.

Is the building in launch site and other buildings destoryable like ksp?

what will happen if we visit the sun in sr2?
    No one has ever returned to tell the tale, so we don't know for sure.

Can we move spacecraft without any rcs or engines?
    There's also a CMG built into the command that provides some attitude control. It's battery powered.

how long is runaway?
    Not sure, will have to get back to you on that.

Will be there a planet with ring in sr2?
    We hope to add this at some point, but we don't have anything yet. I'm sure Nathan will be able to do it. He has been working magic with the planets.

Can we even dig into planets? Or mine any planet or moon?
    No digging mechanics in this game.

Can we put flags and custom flags in sr2?
    No flag mechanics in this game.

will be there engines for plane?
    We don't have any air-breathing engines yet, but I think it's very likely we will add some in the future.

+11 one year ago

@F4f879 No points for comment updoots. Also, no notifications, as they would get annoying rather quickly.

+11 1.5 years ago

I am here too, sometimes. but I am also other places.

+10 1.5 years ago

Yes and yes.

@AstronautPlanes You mean these jet engines?

We just released a new update, version 0.6.8.1. I tweaked the Flight Tutorial a bit. So, if anyone wants to give that a shot, that would be great!

@Jetspeed1001 @Mod @Exospaceman @AstronautPlanes @WNP78 @Bmcclory @TheBeastMaster @Zaccurus @mjdfx150529 @MrMiner101 @Tully2001 @grizzlitn @pedro16797 @StuffBuilder @sumeee @Milo1628xa @Chancey21 @rocket1

The campaign mode will hopefully tackle the STEEP LEARNING CURVE, NOTHING TELLS THE PLAYER WHAT TO DO, and THE GAME LACKS LIFE. I agree those are all problems.

The GOOFY BUILDING MECHANICS is a tough problem to solve. I have a few ideas that I've been wanting to try, such as grouped subassemblies and an attach point part, that lets you define the attach point for a group of parts, essentially overriding all attach points in the group.

THE ONLINE COMMUNITY IS INSEPARABLE FOR GAMEPLAY is an interesting idea.

I don't agree that PLAYERS STOP IMPROVING is true for SimplePlanes and I don't think that will be true for SR2. When players look at other crafts they can comment and meet other players on the craft's post. I think that's a more engaging way to meet other players and improve: by looking at other interesting stuff other players are making. To this day, players have continued to blow our minds with what they are building. They come up with new building techniques and find ways to do things that we would have never thought were possible.

THE GAME LACKS STUFF THAT ARE IN MODS will be true for any game that supports modding. We have to draw the line somewhere.

Yes, sounds like a nice service :)

Thank you so much for the support, everyone!

@SupremeDorian SimpleWheels will rise again! We just need to get the ball rolling on it. The licorice idea....ya, I uh....I'll think about that one.

@Bmcclory Those dates zoom past like an orbital booster on re-entry.

I cannot divulge any more secrets yet about the cargo ba...I mean secret parts.

+8 1.3 years ago

@Seanbon007 Customizable fairings.

+8 1.5 years ago

@Bmcclory good question! Maybe mobile?

+7 23 hours ago

I would like to thank @Kell and @Gregrox for their great suggestions! Also, thank you to all of the beta testers who helped us get this update ready. Especially @pedro16797, who I believe submitted nearly 4.7 million bug reports!

@pedro16797 Yep, we have an auto fuel type now for fuel tanks. When you change an engine's fuel type it auto-updates all of its fuel tanks to match. Unfortunately, we don't plan to support different F/O ratios. Linear aerospikes are under consideration, using this as a reference.

@SupremeDorian I might increase the number of testers. Also, I might give a slight probability bonus to those who signed up early and another bonus to SP players.

I pushed back the date to Friday so we can (hopefully) get a new release ready before adding more players to the beta test.

Why look for a neighbor? I live in one of their houses! What can I help you with?

A picture's worth a thousand words. @SupremeDorian

Okay, new build is out (v0.6.7.2). The electric motor bug should be fixed. You may need to log out of the Steam client and log back in before it realizes there's an update.

@Skywalket Yes, I've never run a beta quite like this before so I'm not comfortable running an open beta.

@trolman
    Are you planning add cockpit version like ksp ?
    No plans for cockpits, but make sure you submit this to uservoice (or upvote it if it's already there). A highly voted suggestion is more likely to end up getting implemented.

Can we do diffetent stuffs like simpleplanes ? (Planes , boats , tanks etc.)

will seas looks like simpleplanes' seas ?
    I think the sea looks better in SR2

+6 one year ago

@BaconAircraft We would like to add volumetric clouds at some point. Philip has prototyped some ideas, but making it a reality has proven difficult. It's also fairly destructive to performance.

+6 1.2 years ago

@Awsomur He never even complained, but he did go through a lot of deodorant.

+6 1.2 years ago

@Sharandeep981 Yep, we have smoke trails in the vacuum right now. XD

+6 1.3 years ago

@Sharandeep981 we are going to launch on Steam early access first and then we'll probably do a round of beta testing on mobile before we do a final release towards the end of the year.

+6 1.4 years ago

@AnotherFireFox lol, I can add in some XML mod options to override the efficiency settings.

@Kell 25 percent!? What are these?Engines for ants?

Thanks for the feedback!

(1) This is something I struggle with because while it is easy to launch stuff into orbit now (just crank the engine size and throat size up), the Isp's for these engines are already somewhat lower than in real life. WIth sandbox mode, there's not a lot of challenge. Campaign mode will help in this regard and bring the challenge back as the player has to earn those more powerful engines.

(2) and (3) Can you provide some examples and what you think their mass should be? I've been tweaking these numbers for so long now and it's a very difficult balancing act. More data points would be helpful.

(4) Good catch. Thanks!

(5) Ya, but they look so much cooler :D

(6) and (7) Shock diamonds would look cool, I agree. I ran out of time for now. Maybe later. Cone shaped plumes look terrible, but maybe I can try turning those on for the next update.

Glad to see Overload is making its way to SR2! I'm curious: how are you going from the edited XML to actually update the part? Are you instantiating a temporary part and copying over the properties via reflection?

@CRJ900Pilot lol, yep we put procedural jet engines in the rocket game instead of the plane game. Before this update, SP players mostly wanted tank parts in the plane game. Never judge a book by its cover! And when it comes to Jundroo games, never judge a game by its name...

@swope Nope, but you can slide the compression ratio down to x1 and basically have a ramjet.

@Batman245 Not yet. There's still a lot to do before we can start working on the mobile version.

If you guys have some advice on how to improve, please submit a suggestion so we can track it. Thanks for playing! @TR2002

@CursedFlames They are both space sims so there will naturally be a lot of overlap. Our main points of focus for SR2 are procedural parts, online collaboration via craft and sandbox sharing, mobile support, and planet building to name a few.

@Roswell I think the install size will be bigger than SP. Probably around 850MB on initial Early Access release.

Ya, sorry that's not a leaked image, but here are some.

I was interested in yours and @JoshMan 's posts and wanted to take this opportunity to double-check our calculations and make sure we aren't too far off with the dry mass / wet mass ratio, so I ran some numbers on a fuel tank of height 2m and radius 0.8m. Here's what the game currently spits out with that configuration:

Volume: 4.0m^3
    Height: 2.0m
    Radius: 0.8m
    Fuel Density: 0.81g/mL
    Wet Mass: 3382.7kg
    Dry Mass: 210.3kg
    Ratio: 16.1

+5 one year ago

@EternalDarkness Our schedule be looking like this.

+5 1.3 years ago

@SR2HYPE Check, Check, Check. :)

+5 1.4 years ago

@mikethespike056 The surface of the planet is great for crushing rockets. You won't be able to land on the gas giants anymore.

+5 1.5 years ago

@Bmcclory @jamesPLANESii We will have other options for people who want to make planes in the rocket game. Personally, I'd like to see submarines in this game.

+5 1.5 years ago

@Oski Good question! I just added those details to the post.

+5 1.5 years ago

@jamesPLANESii Yes, at some point....just not yet!

+5 1.5 years ago

@Exospaceman Many parts in the game will be inspired by real-life parts. Humans and EVA won't make early access, but hopefully in a future version.

+5 1.5 years ago