A very hard landing is shown in the GIF below.
Arda Industries Presents:
SPACEX Falcon 9 [Block 5]
This is a MOBILE FRIENDLY replica of the latest iteration of the Falcon 9. Below is a brief user's guide.
- Max. Cargo to LDO: 22 Tons [More if booster is expended]
- Recoverable booster
- Functional Grid Fins
NOTE: For best results and maximum enjoyment please read and follow the instructions below carefully!
- Turn on AG 1 and AG 2 immediately after launch (all boster engines)
- DO NOT turn on RCS during Stage 1 Launch phase.
- 1000m AGL: set heading 80 deg. East
- 5000m: Set heading 25 deg. East (the craft will do the rest!)
If no booster recovery is required or wanted, continue with 2nd stage as normal into LDO.
- After Launch: Monitor Stage Burn Time
- [Recovery MECO] At 30 sec. of 1st stage burn time left, shut down all booster engines [AG 1 and AG 2 off]
- Engage Stage 2, switch back to Booster Command Chip
- Engage RCS [AG 9]
- Set "Lock Retrograde Heading" and after craft maneuvers into retrograde heading IMMEDIATELY click on "Lock Current Heading"
- While monitoring your trajectory in map view, Turn on all booster engines [AG 1 & AG 2] and begin retrograde burn
- Turn off Outer Booster Engines [AG 2] as soon as craft trajectory is completely vertical.
- Immediately Set heading to 5 deg. West, Continuing on with center booster engine on to desired downrange location.
- Once downrange landing trajectory is achieved, Turn off Center Booster Engine [AG 1] and immediately "Set Retrograde heading"
- You can now re-engage Center Booster Engine [AG 1] and burn as necessary but sparingly, carefully monitoring burn time.
- Below 80,000m and ~800m/s, extend Grid Fins [AG 7]
- Set throttle to zero on with 5% or more fuel left saving the rest for landing.
- Kill most or all hoz. velocity, monitor TWR, AGL height and burn time left, and continue downrange to land as normal.
- Landing Legs [AG 8] below 1000m or as required.
NOTE: As you may have noticed, the word "IMMEDIATELY" is used a lot here, meaning these actions happen very quickly and you have to be quick, and a successfully recovery might take a few tries. Good luck!
A bit more on the Grid Fins: Making these fins was fun but very challenging, and there a re a lot of pros and cons to this craft due to their addition. The fins can be used to rotate the craft during the landing phase and they also do a great job at helping to decelerate the booster during the final landing phase, and have some (though very limited) capacity to control its attitude, however as in its real-life counterpart, this Falcon 9 still needs RCS for proper controllability.
FOR MODS/RSS LOVERS: I am also working on an RSS version with mods, although I am still working out the kinks on the 2nd stage in RSS, but I hope to have the RSS version out soon.
- Successors 18 craft(s) +535 bonus
- Created On: Windows
- Game Version: 0.8.108.0
- Price: $29,296k
- Number of Parts: 541
- Dimensions: 70 m x 6 m x 6 m
- Total Delta V: 7.6km/s
- Total Thrust: 10.6MN
- Engines: 10
- Wet Mass: 8.23E+5kg
- Dry Mass: 30,022kg