Mesh2Craft is a mod that lets you import 3D models using stock parts, meaning the crafts themselves don't require any mods. It rebuilds triangulated models face-by-face using fuel tanks or structural panels.
What is this supposed to do?
The goal of this mod is to make complex and intricate designs easier to make. For example, instead of adjusting tiny parts for hours to get a logo just right, you can simply trace the logo in a program like Blender in a few minutes, and let the mod recreate it in-game for you. The benefit of this approach is that the crafts are 100% stock. They don't require any mods to use, because the models are rebuilt using stock parts.
The models must be in
.obj format for this mod to work. Put your
.obj files into
SimpleRockets 2\UserData\Mesh2Craft\Models and they will appear in the menu. There are a few options to change, then just press "Import" and the mod will do it's thing. Make sure you're paying attention to part count. High-poly models will mean many parts are generated. When positioning the model, there is a part named
[ObjName]_handle in the center, that you can use to move and rotate the model. This is the part that you should attach to the rest of the craft. Note that there is another part called
[ObjName]_root inside it, which is the part all the faces are attached to.
- Models must be triangulated (every face has 3 sides). Any 3D application has this as an export option/modifier that you can apply easily.
- Export orientation should be -Z forward, +Y up. This is Blender's default behavior.
Again, models must be triangulated, or they won't work.
If you want to try this out, but don't know how to make 3D models, the source code has a folder with some
.obj files in it.
- Fixes bug that would cause fuselages to lose their texture
- Disables unused attachment points
- Now uses fuel tanks by default
- Adds an advanced options panel
- Fixes the issue of parts having very high drag
- Adds options to disable drag, mass, and collisions for every part
- Button to select the root of a model when a face is selected
- A wireframe mode for faces with only 2 points
- When dragging the model directly after importing, the designer bugs out. When this happens, just reload the craft manually.
- Some faces will have the z component of the offset flipped, and won't line up correctly. For now, just switch the sign (+ or -) of the z component of the part's offset using overload or through XML.
If you have any suggestions, or find any bugs, please let me know!
Huge thanks to everyone in the Complex Rockets Discord!
- Mod Version: 1.2.2
- Required SR2 Version: 0.9.508
- Published: 12/19/2020
- Downloads: 662