I've tried every thing Ican think of to make this rover wheel free-spinning: setting up to no input, a zero input, a non-existent input. Ive tried disabling it, and connecting it to a (supposedly) free-spinning rotator. No matter what though, it seems that the Brake input always affects the wheel, even when the wheel is disabled (not activated). And I cant set the brake torque below 100. If its possible to edit the brake input as opposed to the motor input in the XML, I dont know since i cant access that on my iPad. Does anyone know an answer?

Tags
Question

16 Comments

• Profile image
    1,644 SpaceChimp1

@CodeCaptain There's a setting with motors, the static resistance...
    Perhaps we will just make a wheel for ya that is static free from breaking. If you would upload under unlisted and then bring me in on it or perhaps just the effected pieces so that I could tinker with it. I may build one from scratch. So that you have full range of free spin to it.

8 months ago
  • Profile image

@SpaceChimp1 even with freespin rotators holding the wheel shafts, the wheel brakes apply. the rotators dont break.

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,644 SpaceChimp1

@CodeCaptain and forgive me for asking as I am sure you have tried all the things I have and are mentioning but the rotory gets a free spin without any breakage does it not?

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image

@SpaceChimp1 yeah, its my focus. There isnt any way however, that ive found, in vizzy, to change these hard limits, or even to edit them at all in vizzy, regardless of which command chip you use. I can set the input for the motor in vizzy, even to -1 which reverses it, but it isnt the same as a wheel to which the Brake slider does not apply.

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,644 SpaceChimp1

@CodeCaptain very well. Are you at all familiar with the vizzy programming? I hear and see it does wonders. I'm not too familiar but it has many secrets to show me. Lol

8 months ago
  • Profile image

@SpaceChimp1 Thats an idea, but ive experieced a lot of troubles trying to use two chips, i no longer try that, I think there are too many problems with it and there is no source of information available on how to do it. too many wasted hours. i have now designed, after literrally 5 whole days of work, a functioning landing gear made with rover wheels, maybe ill upload it soon.

9 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,644 SpaceChimp1

I think if you have them set on a different command chip and maybe replicate AG (maybe not) ,perhaps as you are using a different chip it may not initiate the actual breaking of the part but still function as your freespin?!. Let me know if this works or throw me and upload. ;-)

9 months ago
  • Profile image
    10.2k SoulBlazer

@CodeCaptain
    You may be able to achieve this by using odd parts for wheels. (Blocks were my best experiments)
    They have some sideways traction when moving forward but I believe it is the game calculating parts touching the ground while including momentum and angle of the part contacting the ground with resulting inertia.
    Blocks work well but its a choppy ride without tinkering them down to tiny parts.
    You also have to set them to not explode of you want to go faster than 50m/s in my tests.
    If you want the wheels to not move and still have sideways traction, blocks are not the answer.

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@theUSSR yes, but im on an iPad Pro. iPads and iPhones dont allow us to edit the xml. we can only access the properties you can get through the app interface itself. So i do have some parts i subbed from other crafts that were xmled by another player, like the wing segment that allows me to change the input source of the roll input to make it a vizzy variable. But i cant make them.

9 months ago
  • Profile image

I made a suggestion about this ... please upvote it if you care about wheels! @Zyvx

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image

@Zyvx If I set both brake and motor torq to 500, then set the wheel's motor input to Slider 1, I find that it takes 40% on the Brake slider to neutralize a 100% (max) on Slider 1.

9 months ago
  • Profile image
    21.9k Zyvx

I tried some stuff, I see what you mean, the brakes always stop the motion eventually. If I come across anything useful I will let you know.

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@Zyvx I need the sideways traction on the wheel, basically a rover wheel i can zero out the brake input from. The app interface only lets me set the motor input.

9 months ago
  • Profile image
    21.9k Zyvx

I thought about trying to use fuselage and intake parts to make a wheel on a free rotator, this might be a way to avoid brakes, and more control over the wheels appearance. However I don't know how good or bad traction will be

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@Insanity got a spare wheel with 0 brake torque?

9 months ago
  • Profile image
    5,553 Insanity

Other than to set the brake torque to zero i wouldnt know of a way.

+1 9 months ago

4 Upvotes