I'm building a reusable rocket and I'm wondering if there is any way to use a docking port as an interstage so I can use a crane truck or something to reattach stages after landing.

Tags
Question

7 Comments

• Profile image
    1,183 FriendlyFin

you can’t dock it or undock it via staging, but you can definitely use the docking ports as interstages by toggling the docking

(besides using vizzy like what @StarBorn said, which would work much better)

2 months ago
  • Profile image

As @YaMomzBox420 stated, looking through the public version of my falcon 9 should help you. If needed, I can send you a POC craft demonstrating it.

3 months ago
  • Profile image
    9,647 Chtite451SR2

you can indeed use docking ports like interstages, that's essentially what they are, except you can also reconnect to them

3 months ago
  • Profile image
    9,647 Chtite451SR2

@YaMomzBox420 helo lol

3 months ago
  • Profile image

@YaMomzBox420 Is right. You can use docking ports and use vizzy to deactivate the port during separation rather than using an interstage. You can make a crane and some sorta vehicle to transport the rocket back to the pad.

3 months ago
  • Profile image

As a matter of fact, yes you actually can! Granted, it takes a bit of ingenuity and luck, but it's definitely a viable way to make reusable craft. I don't know most of the specifics, but I've seen examples by @Chtite451SR2 and @ChaoticGraviton that use docking ports in this manner. I would check out what they've made for some ideas, especially Chao's "True Reuse Falcon 9" since it was the first proven reuse of a first stage, relying on docking ports for refueling, etc. It also uses a strong back for assembly of the reused booster and new second stage, plus reorientation on the launchpad. Come to think of it, I believe @iSpace made a very similar reuse system (there was an unofficial competition to see who could do it first a few months back and iSpace was barely behind Chaos), but I'm not sure if it was ever uploaded

3 months ago
  • Profile image

You can use vizzy

3 months ago

2 Upvotes