Lately there seems to have been a rise in the number of users upvoting certain other users' posts just because they are friends, regardless of the quality of said post.

I'm here to make it clear that such activities are heavily discouraged, as well as being very close to breaking our rules, or even outright breaking them; depending on your perspective on it. Upvoting a user's post because you are friends regardless of its quality subverts the intent behind the points system and creates an unwanted environment.

These "upvote cults" as the community calls them, have two major effects: point inflation, and pushing some low effort and/or meme posts to the front page, pushing some high quality posts out of the spotlight.

What do I mean by point inflation? Well, say, for example, a user uploads the maximum 3 crafts a day, every day, and the same three users upvote all of them regardless of their quality. Within 30 days that user will have gained a considerable amount of points for simply consistently posting low-effort posts and having their friends upvote them. For obvious reasons, this is unfair to people who put a high amount of effort into their posts.

Anyone is allowed to upvote any post for any reason, however please consider the value of your upvote before upvoting another user's posts only because they are your friend. I get that you want to support them, and I was guilty of this previously as well, but it is problematic in high numbers and threatens the entire meaning of the points system in the first place. Thank you.

Oh, and one more thing. Please do not harass people that do this. Harassment is against our rules, and is generally just undeserved.

Comments

• Profile image

Updated again.

Pinned one month ago
  • Profile image
    13.3k seventeen

(Talking about pianoplane), Dorian I think that guy is underaged, but also he keeps spam mentioning everyone. The reason I haven't blocked him yet is because, first of all, it does not contribute to remove him, and second of all he will still continue to harass other players

7 days ago
  • Profile image

Understandable have a nice day

one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,063 DrexxVolv

Seems it was taken down now. This forum has broken forum records.

one month ago
  • Profile image

The upvote points system is highly overrated anyway, so why does it even matter?

one month ago
  • Profile image
    525 Spaceinc

@XionmassResearchDevt yeah I'm scared now, 🥺

one month ago
  • Profile image
    2,056 Ergie

Ok

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image

Now everyone is scared to Upvote much at all .. this was definitely a good thing to post about , I'm glad mods are trying to keep quality posts on front pages .. as for some same always voting on certain builders.. I myself know certain builders have quality work no matter if I download or not.. I know their good.. so yes some builders do vote on each other's stuff.. but that's not always a cult thing.. it's just knowing who makes decent stuff . And like kirRu .. if they post something.. I know it's good.. and many many more such as...

Thank you devs for trying to keep site clean of trash.. but not all is a cult voting thing.. that's maybe why we have a follow button.. to follow and see our favorite builders stuff and if I'm a fan of their stuff.. well I'll probably Upvote most of all they post when I notice it..

+4 one month ago
  • Profile image

@MissionHyper been there bud

one month ago
  • Profile image

@MissionHyper I’ve been there before..

one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,388 Alvin98

I'm thinking about a filter that would filter out silly crafts

one month ago
  • Profile image

Everyone here is smart enough to still put 2&2 together, I hope. I found accounts with only a couple posts but several hundred points. How's that work? Somebody must know a bug to add points.
    *Disclaimer: do not, under any circumstances, updoot this post.

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,762 Tarian

Well said Dorian, thank you very much. Down with the cults, up with the good old high quality rockets that used to be all over the front page.

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,285 RikHar

I say take away the points thing all together. I would much rather read a comment saying "nice craft" or "cool", then to see "upvotes".

+2 one month ago
  • Profile image
    525 Spaceinc

@SupremeDorian so do I have to download a post before I can upvote it?

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image

Agree

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image

imagine building a to-scale realistic automatic space shuttle then some dude with only a fuel tank in their build just reaches the front page instead of your hard work

+7 one month ago
  • Profile image

uploading new crafts helps popularize the previous craft and also shows updates for other crafts.

+2 one month ago
  • Profile image

The community is very toxic here.

+4 one month ago
  • Profile image
    600 Ilikef35

Thank you. I’m still kind of new to the game @SupremeDorian

one month ago
  • Profile image

@TheSmartyHarsky No. I'm saying that knowing a person in the community should not be the sole reason you upvote their posts.

one month ago
  • Profile image

@Ilikef35 It's expected that you'll improve at whatever aspect of the game you enjoy doing since you're playing it, but there's not really an unwritten rule about it. If you make a lower quality than usual post it'll get fewer upvotes, anyways. Unless you've got a cult following.

+2 one month ago
  • Profile image
    600 Ilikef35

I have a question that’s not really related to this, but as your point amount increases, are you expected, or is it an unwritten rule that you need to make higher quality posts, or posts that have a higher piece amount? Anyone feel free to answer this.

one month ago
  • Profile image

So are you trying to say is if I know someone in the community I should not upvote their post?

one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,063 DrexxVolv

I did the math, if you did follow that example, you would end up with 4,050 points. Which is a pretty insane amount. Well, it’s crazy for me. But still.

one month ago

115 Upvotes