Eight new engine types, seven new nozzles, and six new fuel types are available which allows for hundreds of possible rocket engine configurations. They also have slider options for size, nozzle length, throat radius, and chamber pressure so really there are infinite possible configurations.
The new Performance Analyzer window in the designer will give you immediate feedback. You can see how their performance characteristics change with altitude as you tweak the rocket engine's parameters.
This update also brings a lot of improvements and bug fixes for building airplanes. There is now a plane/rocket building mode option available on the command pod and a new visualization tool to help visualize your craft's direction of travel.
- Added procedural rocket engines
- Several new types of engines: Pressure Fed, Electric Pump, Gas Generator, Staged, Solid, and Nuclear Thermal
- Adjustable nozzle parameters such as Nozzle Length and Nozzle Throat Radius
- Several nozzle options: Resizable Bell, Resizable Cone, Aerospike, Alpha, Bravo, Delta, and Omega
- New Fuel Types: Hydrolox, Methalox, Kerolox, Liquid Hydrogen, Water, and Solid rocket fuel.
- Engine exhaust plume now supports under-expansion and over-expansion.
- Added new Performance Analysis window to designer for jet engines and new rocket engines.
- Added build mode so you can now switch between rocket building and plane building. You can find this under your command pod's part properties.
- Added pilot orientation gizmo to help player visualize the intended direction of travel of the craft
- Added ability to invert the airfoil of wings.
- Display which input a control surface is assigned to when it uses Auto.
- Added ability to restrict a auto-configured control surface to a single axis.
- Added button in designer to show wing lift vectors.
- Added option to show wing lift vectors during flight
- Activation Group Replication - When you have a craft with multiple command pods you can enable this option on a command pod to replicate the primary command pod's activation group states.
- Docking ports can be disabled to prevent docking. Disabling while docked will undock the ports.
- Added flight scene camera speed and sensitivity settings.
- Upgraded to Unity 2018.3
- New engines are not yet textured and they don't have new sound effects yet. We are working on it.
- We are looking for feedback on the new rocket engines. We've spent a lot of time trying to make them as accurate as possible. Let us know if you have any feedback on their performance or visuals.
How to get the beta
- Open the Steam client and go to your Library
- Right click SimpleRockets 2 and click Properties
- Go to the BETAS tab
- Select beta - Public Beta Testing from the beta dropdown
Full release notes are here.