So ive wanted to try to develop an extra easy re usable booster with minimal babysitting and switching between crafts to land and to reach orbit. I also wanted it to be fairly beefy. Which means more mass to slow when landing. So my idea is to use large drag fins that are covered by a fairing for launch and deploy to drag and slow the large booster. Now these wouldnt be normal grid fins or air brakes. Imagine 125ft long drag fins. Heres a blurry hastily done sketch of my idea.
oDDDx ReBoosterXtra MK2

Has anyone tried large drag fins? Not sure how the physics will treat the large fins. Going to start build and testing tonight. Hopefully an increased drag scale will give the fins to slow the RBX for a very slow descent without thrust. (100-150m/s maybe) to allow enough time to get payload to orbit with minimal switching and babysitting.

Planning on around 90-100m height. 850,000kg+ Main stage with upper stage payload hopefully nearing 40,000kg to be modest.

Launch thrust provided by 1 apex and 4 mage engines. Apex engine would be disabled and only Mage engines used for landing stage.

5 Comments

• Profile image
    458 Bmcclory

Just hold e, no need for rotators @oDDDx

14 days ago
  • Profile image
    1,112 oDDDx

@Bmcclory will probably have to be a very slow spin to not rip itself apart bei g so large. But most def gunna see if it helps with slowing.

14 days ago
  • Profile image
    1,112 oDDDx

@Bmcclory same page, was going to test additional rotators on a slider with shallow angle to test just that.

14 days ago
  • Profile image
    458 Bmcclory

Oh, new idea, what if the big fins turn into a giant propeller to slow decent?

+1 14 days ago
  • Profile image
    458 Bmcclory

I tried small fins, no large ones yet though. Good luck!

+1 14 days ago

6 Upvotes