@PhilipTarpley
@AndrewGarrison
@weebabyseamus
I'm normally really good at docking in ksp
The controls in this need to have a retro target indicator when you select a target.
You should also have a relative target speed indicator, to tell how fast you are going compared to your target, these current controls are really terrible for docking.

22 Comments

• Profile image

@AndrewGarrison you should use 2 wasd keys. One for turning, and the other for movement. For example you use wasd to move, and you could use arrow keys to turn. That way you don't have to keep switching between translation mode. You could replace translation feature with relative rcs movement so when it's on rcs input is based off ship's xyz movement and heading. Pressing up moves it forward in the direction the ship is pointing. Turning it off makes rcs input based off where the camera is looking at. Pressing up moves the ship forwards , even if the ship is facing sideways, similar to a drone with headingless controls, it moves forwards from where you are looking at, regardless of the drone's heading.

+3 6 months ago
  • Profile image

Retro Target would be great

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    27 eonn44

one thing that would serve this simulator well would be something along the lines of the docking port alignment indicator mod for KSP. I have never used the normal method of docking in KSP after installing that mod because I gave you so much more information in a more concise manner. That would be something incredible to see implemented in this game.

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@WNP78 Yea, @TR2002 cleared it up, but thanks!

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,219 WNP78

If you click the speed indicator whilst having a target set you should get relative speed.

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    954 Mostly

@PorkyClown3 The wasd controls?

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@Mostly Its the controls

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    954 Mostly

Just because it's not like ksp doesn't mean it's hard.
    (btw it isn't xd)

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    6,485 Bmcclory

That might be easier @PorkyClown3

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@Bmcclory I just docked thanks though, and ijkl,nh are good too

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    6,485 Bmcclory

You could use ijkl for docking, and u and h for going up and down @AndrewGarrison

+2 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    6,485 Bmcclory

I think it is easy. I could upload a video of it later if you need it.

8 months ago
  • Profile image

I agree. Also I wasn't able to get roll or z axis working. Roll is really hard to implement with the current nozzels and you can't really use rcs for forward/backwards movement if there's no main engine on your craft, because the controls are only 3-axis (roll, pitch, and yaw)

8 months ago
  • Profile image

If you guys have some advice on how to improve, please submit a suggestion so we can track it. Thanks for playing! @TR2002

+5 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    172 TR2002

@PorkyClown3 glad to help! ;)

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@TR2002 Wow! Thank you, I had never noticed that.

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    172 TR2002

I had the same problems @PorkyClown3 , though the relative target speed indicator is there. Press the speed indicator and then it cycles between Surface/Orbit and Target if you have selected one.

Prograde and retrograde are then also relative to the target.

But yes, the docking is something that has to be worked on to make it fun again I think. The controls with the translation using RCS are also not very user friendly.

But, keep in mind that it just released so I’m sure that it will be patched. I have fate in @AndrewGarrison !

+1 8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@RailfanEthan The orbital mechanics are the same pretty much. I was able to get close to my target in this but I never got to actually line up with it, I could not tell how fast i was going when I was right by it.

8 months ago
  • Profile image

this isn't ksp tho

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@weebabyseamus

8 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,103 PorkyClown3

@AndrewGarrison

8 months ago